ALERT!

Don't forget to subscribe to Ambrosia's FREE Ezine for the latest information on all things Indie!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Aaron Hazouri


Ambrosia Arts - Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Well, my name is Aaron Hazouri, and I'm a freelance illustrator. I am also bald and I enjoy cheese and coffee, though generally not at the same time.

Ambrosia Arts - What inspired you to become an artist, how did it come about in your life?

My dad is an artist, and I've been drawing since I was a kid (like most artists, I think). I've always liked drawing more than things like watching TV, socializing with other humans, and so on...

 Ambrosia Arts – What would you call your style?

I tend to vary my style, depending on the job, but when I'm drawing for fun or for my own projects, I have a very broad cartoony style. More than a few people have said my style looks like something out of an old Looney Tune (which I THINK is a compliment!).

Ambrosia Arts – Where all have you had your work published, use commercially? What kind of art was used?

I've done freelance work for a wide range of clients, from large corporations to small start-ups, and I've produced art for everything from animation art for television commercial producers to t-shirt designs for small family reunions. Most of my pro work is cartoon illustration though I have done a bit more realistic-style work lately. Years ago, I had a comic strip running in the University of North Florida newspaper. All I remember about it is it was late every single week.

Ambrosia Arts – Is there a message in your art? What does it mean for you?

I don't think of what I do as "art" so much as "craft." The artwork I create is generally to serve a purpose, so if there's a message present, it's something the client is looking for. My personal work usually takes the form of comic strips or graphic novels, where the message is one of anger and frustration at the ultimate futility of life... I guess!

Ambrosia Arts – When you draw comics, are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Every comic story I do is at least semi-autobiographical. I don't think I can help it.

Ambrosia Arts - What are your current projects?

Currently, in addition to freelance work, I'm self-publishing The Strange Adventures of Toaster Guy - a four-issue miniseries distributed across three continents with a fan base numbering into the dozens! I'm also working on a short story for a horror comics anthology, Skin Crawling Comics, featuring a number of other writers and artists. My story, "Wesley," is by author Sabrina James Riley and it's fantastic!

Ambrosia Arts - Who is your favorite artist and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

My favorite artist is the famous cartoonist Chuck Jones. In his prime, he was probably the greatest animation artist who ever lived. One of the only artists I know of who can elicit laughter with a rough pencil sketch of a cartoon duck's twisted beak.

Ambrosia Arts – What is your favorite piece and why?
 
My favorite piece is a cartoon, The Rabbit of Seville, directed by the great Chuck Jones. The drawing, the posing, the writing - everything was top notch in this cartoon.
 
Ambrosia Arts - What made you fall in love with drawing?

In school, reading comics during lectures was forbidden. Sleeping was frowned upon. But drawing looked enough like note-taking that I was able to get away with it! Until instead of having notes to study for tests, I found myself staring at a misshapen Ninja Turtle scrawled all over a crumpled sheet of notebook paper.

 Ambrosia Arts - What do you do when you are not drawing?

I weep for myself and my lot in life! No, actually, I watch cartoons and eat unhealthy cereal. Frosted Flakes are like crack.

Ambrosia Arts - Is there anything that you would like to say to your fans?
 
I don't think I have any fans, but if I do and they're reading this, send boxes of Frosted Flakes!

Ambrosia Arts – What’s next on your agenda?

Next is wrapping up Toaster Guy and Wesley and working towards the next gig!

 Aaron Hazouri lives and works out of his small studio, where his wife and dog occasionally open the door and allow him the sweet taste of sunlight." I can be reached at cartoonistaaron@comcast.net or on Facebook. Pricing is on a per-project basis, depending on the complexity and timeframe.

 Aaron Hazouri

Cartoonist • Illustrator


cartoonistaaron@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment